QuickBooks Connect gathers over 5,000 accounting, business, and technology professionals for an annual event whose speakers include Olympians Michael Phelps and Simone Biles, journalist Malcolm Gladwell and entrepreneurs like Derreck Kayongo.
As QuickBooks is one of the world's top cloud accounting platforms, it could not have picked a better spot for this year’s event — San Jose. Home to 7,000 tech companies, and 35% of US venture capital funds, the city is the most concentrated tech center in the world.
While San Jose is known as the unofficial “Capital of Silicon Valley”, there are plenty of interesting, fun and relaxing things to do in your downtime.
For those who like to win on a grand scale, the Guadalupe River Park contains the world’s largest monopoly board. And if you want a break from the tech focus, the city is also home to the largest public library on the West Coast.
Here are three more reasons why San Jose is the perfect place for QuickBooks Connect.
1. San Jose is at the cutting edge of technology
With a massive concentration of high-tech engineering, computer, and microprocessor companies, San Jose is at the heart of San Francisco’s Bay Area.
The city is home to Apple, Google, and NASA campuses. Schools such as the University of California, Berkeley and Stanford University pump thousands of engineering and computer science graduates into the local economy each year.
Intuit, the company behind QuickBooks, prides itself on innovation in the accounting space — it’s a perfect match for San Jose.
2. Access to Silicon Valley stars
Nearby are Silicon Valley stars such as Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg plus Google’s Larry Page.
With the world’s top companies, talent and innovators at its doorstep, it is little wonder QuickBooks Connect has a speaker line-up of trailblazing, dynamic leaders who will dish out valuable, real-world advice.
3. You'll never be bored in your downtime
Dubbed the US’s digital hub, San Jose is becoming a tourist destination as well as a magnet for tech. There’s also tons to do in your downtime. Our to-do list includes:
- Municipal Rose Gardens: This sweet spot was voted the best rose garden in America. Stroll through the beautiful meadow surrounded by over 4,000 rose bushes. Perfect for a peaceful break before / after the hustle and bustle of the conference.
- Alum Rock Park: For the more adventurous, the Alum Rock Canyon provides 740 acres of natural, rugged beauty. Situated in the foothills of the Diablo Mountain Range, there’s plenty of outdoor leisure activities, from hiking to jogging and cycling. And it’s proximity to rural lands means the park is bristling with wild animals, including mountain lions and bobcats. Security detail optional.
- SAP Arena: For any sports fans who haven’t had enough from Shaquille O’Neil, Michael Phelps and Simone Biles. And for Ice Hockey fans, the San Jose Sharks face the Columbus Blue Jackets on Thursday October 27. (Go Sharks?)
- Scott’s Seafood of San Jose: A Bay Area must-visit in the heart of downtown San Jose. American regional cuisine featuring the freshest seafood and prime dry-aged steaks. Enjoy views of San Jose and the surrounding hills of Silicon Valley from the sixth floor. And the interior is ideal for business meetings and post-conference networking.
While you’re getting the most out of the city and the event, swing by the Receipt Bank stand. We’ll be the ones in orange shirts talking about how you can build a more profitable, scalable bookkeeping business.
QuickBooks Connect is the place to learn how to build a better firm. Get prepared with a health check of your essential KPIs so you know what to improve. We've picked out the top 6 in our handy factsheet “The Power of KPIs”.
Download the factsheet to find out:
- The numbers that drive a profitable bookkeeping business
- How to stop system issues slowing you down
- How to tailor KPIs to your own goals